Sunday, May 9, 2010
In Brief, Nukes...
Nuclear Energy Issues:
• Expensive, not competitive with wind/solar, conservation
• Long-lived radioactive waste with NO storage solution after 50 years
• To terrorists a nuke plant is a pre-positioned nuclear device
• If nukes are safe why won’t the insurance companies cover them?
• Uses way too much water & creates thermal pollution
• Routinely releases toxins into soil, air and river and ground water
The apparently irresistible lobbying and campaign contributions that seduced national legislators into signing onto privatization and deregulation schemes over the past decades brought us to the economic melt-down we are now just beginning to enjoy.
The push for SB31 is more of the same. I hope you’ll consider that history and two other things in your deliberations:
Nuclear power is the wrong horse;
This bill is an industry fantasy and a consumer rip-off.
(comment to GA Legislative committee on a bill to encourage nukes)